Thursday, May 16, 2013

Prepare for Landing

Right now I feel a little bit like the poor X-Wing fighter guy in the original Starwars movie "A New Hope" who gets hit and catches on fire and screams "Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!" as he crashes to his doom into the Death Star in the closing battle. Maybe the references is a bit too specific and vague at the same time, but if you go back and watch the film, you'll know what guy I'm talking about. 
I feel a little bit like an evil genius this morning. Yesterday afternoon I spent my time developing an idear for a model and studying psychology research articles to better enhance my proposal. I'm not a computer geek and I'm not a science person and I really could care less on how we learn in development, but for my final psych paper I had to develop a research experiment and model and  produce possible outcomes. At first I figured out what kinds of things might be interesting to know, such as how a child learns the meanings of the words "Where" and "is" and then basic commands based on tonal and visual cues. I had to develop a model for it, and since my brain has been a little burnt out lately, I decided I needed to see my model on paper before I magically commanded my computer to spit it out. 
I love paper. I'm a bit of a granny, I suppose, as I find computer graphs and formality to be far too complicated for the likes of me. 
This morning I retrieved my crayons and layed on my floor drawing out potential graphical ideas and configurations so I could see for myself what I would need to punch into my computer to produce an equally impressive graph that could be added into my typed up proposal. 
I'm not thrilled with it, but when all is said and done, I'm at least satisfied and I feel a lot of relief in knowing that I have checked one more thing off my list and can now devote all my time to studying clinical psych for my exam tomorrow. 

I think I'm going stir-crazy. I get my energy from people and I've rather spent my last several days in my living room in front of my computer with hardly a human interaction at all. Last night I allowed myself to step out onto my front steps for a few minutes and was quite pleasantly surprised at the sound of birds and the smell of freshly cut grass. I realized, at that point, that the world is still turning and life still exists beyond my humble walls and electronic devices. I'm quite excited to think that in one more day, I shall be making the ever-so-pleasant summer drive down highway 20 with my best road-tripping partner back to the lovely Storm Lake, Iowa where I shall have all the people interaction I could want as well as see the stars and hear the peaceful sounds of the country. 

Everything always feels a bit like a dream when it's just out of reach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment