Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Are You Happy?

“All men seek happiness, This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.”  – Blaise Pascal


I was introduced to the above quote tonight at the college ministry I attend. It's quite deep and I'm still attempting to process it.  It's true. I myself am constantly seeking joy. I want to always be joyful, to be filled and overflowing with joy.... or am I?


I remember someone saying that the difference between joy and happiness was that happiness was circumstantial while joy was something we always have access to through Jesus, no matter what is going on in our lives. So then the question is, what is motivating my actions? And do my actions reflect my seeking joy or my seeking happiness?



    Psalm 16:11

   You make known to me the path of life;
   you will fill me with joy in your presence,
   with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

All men seek happiness and it's really only truly found in God. This quote about happiness being the primary motivation is kind of a huuuge wake up call. If I'm being honest, a lot of the time, I don't seek God for my happiness. If happiness is the motivation behind my every action, I find my happiness in all the wrong places. 
I had to think.. what exactly do I do with my free time?
-facebook
-texting
-Dinner with friends
-Sleep
-homework
-Listen to music
-Cook
-Spend time with people
-Chat with my roommate. 
-Check email
-Go to my sister's house.. 

And if I have time... (What!?)


-Read my bible
-Journal and pray 


All of these things bring happiness in some form, right? I mean.. otherwise I wouldn't do them. I find how I spend most of my free time to be disturbing.  
 I think I would like to take this idea of being happy a little further and ask, "Are you satisfied?" 
Because, if you think about it, if we are not satisfied, are we really truly happy?
It's difficult to be happy when there is longing for something more or if there is some un-fulfillment in our lives lingering in the background or looming over head. In the past week and a half, I have found myself to be unsatisfied. 
Facebook is boring to me, I don't have any new emails, Homework is not that exciting, texting is sporadic etc. I've been longing for something more. 


God created us so beautifully with a longing to be with Him. He is the only one or thing who will make us happy, the only thing that will satisfy. 
In my quest to find out what about God is so satisfying about Jesus, I found this quote by Charles Spurgeon that I think says it all. 



"When Jesus is the host, no guest goes empty from the table. Our head is satisfied with the precious truth which Christ reveals; our heart is content with Jesus, as the altogether lovely object of affection; our hope is satisfied, for whom have we in heaven but Jesus? and our desire is satiated, for what can we wish for more than to know Christ and to be found in him. Jesus fills our conscience till it is at perfect peace; our judgment with persuasion of the certainty of his teachings; our memory with recollections of what he has done, and our imagination with the prospects of what he is yet to do." -Charles Spurgeon 



“For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, and the hungry soul He has filled with what is good.” (Ps. 107:9)




No comments:

Post a Comment