Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Good Life

Another day,  another week. 

In general, I would count my life to be fairly smooth, easy, un-complicated and stress-free. But every now and again I'll encounter a little bit of a bump in the road that doesn't sit well with me. 

Today is a day for smoothing out the wrinkles, and I'm quite appreciative that I can do that from the comforts of living room with a tall mug of coffee in hand for support. Hardly anything to complain about, seeing as most of the Iowa City world has to venture out into that white stuff. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE snow! But, seeing that I've quite learned that my car likes to dance in it and slide all over the road to celebrate its beauty and glory, I've decided that maybe we should just admire it from the window instead. 

I have quite a list of things to complete today. 

Support letters
Emails
Valentines
More Job Apps
whatever else I think of...

Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed.. I don't want to face any of it because it seems like way too much. I am, however, accomplishing some things and am crossing them off my lists. *sigh* But I still feel stressed. Just anxious. I don't like feeling anxious. 

--

I had a wonderful time at home over the weekend! Absolutely marvelous. Driving home was an adventure, of course. I set off about noon on Thursday, just because I could, and didn't bother to check the weather or anything before going.. I just went. :)

All woulda been fine and dandy had I 

a) Not put ethanol  gas in my cas
b) checked the weather and gotten on the road sooner

It's nice of Iowa to use their corn resources to water down the gasoline and make it cheaper for us consumers, but that's just what it is.. cheaper. And while on normal unleaded gasoline my car can make it from Iowa City to Storm Lake on HALF a tank of gas, ethanol goes much quicker. 

So me, traveling my 70mph down the highway with still an hour to go, I notice that

a) My gas gauge is dancing close to Empty
b) Snow. Lots of snow. 

My mom called to ask after my progress and I mentioned to her that it was snowing and that I kinda needed some gas. She first informed me that it had blown over them already and so I probably need not worry too much. 

Shortly thereafter she called back to say that her facebook feed was filled with warnings of treacherous conditions and points of zero feet of visibility and it was advised that one should not travel in it. 

I mean.. it wasn't THAT bad.. not something that I'd slow down for, but yes for the points of zero feet of visibility. But I thought it was kind of thrilling to all the sudden see nothing and then be able to see again a little bit later. Kind of like driving in and out of a snow globe. And besides... the best thing to do is keep moving towards your destination and put it behind you anyways. 

But... I mean.. the gas thing was the most disconcerting. Because I considered that if I DID end up in the ditch... I'd be pretty well stuck there for a while. And considering I drive a white car.. that's not very helpful for white-out conditions if you're wanting someone to notice you stuck in a ditch. 

In my mind I knew where a gas station was if I re-routed to regular black-top roads where the speed limit is only 55mph. *sigh* It was a little dramatic when I dipped into the red 'E' zone with 12 miles to go. I'll have you know that the East/West roads were just fine, apart from the snow blowing across them. When I started to take the exit ramp (At 40 mph.. I wasn't speeding) I right away knew it was gonna be a little exciting to get to the gas station which was 6 miles away yet. 

I tested my brakes a little and decided that the stop sign was optional. Seriously, someone needs to tell the back-end of my car that it only has to go 90 degrees when we turn. For some reason it gets so excited, it just keeps going...

Anyways, the wind was worse going North and I had fun keeping my car on the road. :)

Once I had gas in my car and informed my mom I'd be a little bit later since the ice on the road probably would only work with me for going 35mph, I relaxed a little and enjoyed the scenic route. 

I actually quite enjoy a solitary car drive through Iowa. I love seeing open fields and barns and farm houses and cows. It's peaceful to me. It's home. :) The more I live in the city, the more I have to be thankful for about the country.

Home was great, of course. I got to scrub the kitchen down, be the teacher for Kolby's History lesson and Kyle's Bible school for Friday ( I really do miss home-schooling them) and then my grandma and aunt came to visit. Eventually, Rose turned up and on Saturday, the remaining three brothers showed up. We chatted, we baked, we bonded, we laughed. 

Sunday was almost as perfect as it gets. We fell asleep to Planet Earth movies and then woke up to chop and load wood into the basement to keep the house warm. I got to make sushi (which I've been wanting to do foreverrr) and then we drank hot cider and watched Dr. Who, finishing our evening with  conversations in the living room.  I just love that. 

I love to sit and chat with my friends and my siblings are the best friends I will ever have. They are the best ones to run away to and they will always give the best advice and strongest support and most honest Truth and can make me laugh better than any one I know. 

<3 They're great. 

Now it's on to the next thing. Search for hours to work, search for income. Trust the Lord, grow in faith. All that good stuff. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment