Sunday, September 9, 2012

Let Me Be Singing when the Evening Comes


I love the song 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman. The semester is in full swing now with upcoming class debates, ASL projects, exams, quizzes, assignments, homework... phew! It's full! On top of that, there's other things in my life like co-leading a Bible study, serving at the home game concession stands, decipleship meetings, leader's meetings, one-on-one meetings with Bible study girls, the fact that there is something terribly wrong with my intestines and 10,000 other things that I feel like I have to juggle.
But, the more i have, the more I need God and the more I am blessed. My heart is still so in love with the Father and I am blessed to feel the presence of God with me all the time. Sometimes, I worry. I struggle with the fear that I will one day wake up and I won't feel it. I will cry out (as I've done many times before) "Where are you?" and He will patiently point out to me that he's waiting beside the hole that I've jumped into with a rope and first aide kit at the ready so He can pull me out and clean the cuts and bruises from my fall. I worry about the day I will forget to go to Him when I am overwhelmed or when someone has caused me pain. It has happened before and it has lead me into times of despair and emptiness and brokenness. 
There is a war going on and I am in the heat of the battle. My time is committed to a million different things and it gets easier and easier to push "Time alone with God" to the bottom of my to-do list. The funny thing about that is that He is my Armor bearer. More than that, He is my rear guard. Why would I go into battle without first suiting up in the best armor there is and making sure I have my comrade in arms at my side? But still, I know there will be a day or two or three where I will run out the door totally unprepared for what the day will throw at me and I will be wounded. And after that, maybe I will remember to go back to the Great Doctor, or maybe I will decide I won't have time and I will stay wounded and the infection will set in. 
I truly hope this is a hypothetical scenerio. But I've been there an done that.. more than once. I've burned out, dried out, worn down, become exhausted. For now, my prayer is that it won't be me. Not this time. Not this semester. Not this year.  I will fight to keep my heart alive. I will fight to keep the joy that the Lord has so richly lavished upon me. I will fight to be aware of God's presence. I will fight to stay out of the mud. And the Lord will fight with me. More than that, He will fight for me. He will go before me and He will be my rear guard. And when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear nothing. 



The sun comes upIts a new day dawningIts time to sing your song againWhat ever may pass and whatever lies before meLet me be singing when the evening comes

1 comment:

  1. I blogged about this one, too!!! Love, love, LOVE this song. :) I, too, have been so amazed at His perfect provision and blessings... overwhelmed. He is SO GOOD.

    http://www.praisehiminsong.blogspot.com/2012/06/10000-reasons.html

    ReplyDelete