Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nothing Short of a Miracle


Matthew 19:26 


 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”


On Wednesday, my pastor who is leading the trip to Brazil woke up early and drove to Chicago at 4:30 in the morning to see if he could work things out at the consulate. He texted us telling us to pray for a miracle and so I spent half an hour in prayer that God would send us one. After a couple of hours of him talking to different people and trying to work things out in every possible way that he knew how he was told, "I'm sorry, sir. That is impossible. There is no way we can have your visas processed by your flights on Saturday but for sure we could get them to you by Monday." 


Our team met on Wednesday night to weigh our options. Monday would mean cutting the trip shorter and we might have to split the team up and take different flights. By the end of the meeting, it was looking like a Brazil trip in May was our best option. I left the meeting feeling slightly disappointed but in all honesty..I was okay with all of it. I love going home. I love being home. Not going to Brazil just meant I got to go home, not what i had anticipated, but not a bad alternative either. :) 


Anyways, we were encouraged to keep praying for a miracle because it would be a miracle that would take us to Brazil. We had until Friday to cancel our flights and so we were gonna remain optimistic and hold out for God to send us a miracle. 


Thursday (48 hours from scheduled flight) Jeff texted us to tell us that there were no flights for Monday and so we could look forward to a trip in may. We still had one day to cancel our Saturday flights and so we were going to wait for the last possible moment. 


Friday at 12:30 (28 hours from scheduled flight) Jeff and another Veritas staff member drove again to chicago.  The text read "He guys Clint and I are on our way to Chicago believing that perhaps if we walk into the Brazilian Consulate and ask for our visas (that aren't supposed to be processed until Monday) that God will make it happen. Pray for that. If it doesn't happen, we just know that God wants us in Brazil in May :) What a wild ride!" 


I felt this to be quite a step of faith and I wasn't sure what to think  would happen. I hadn't bothered to pack or prepare at all because there was a 90% chance I was spending my spring break at home in good ol' North West Iowa. 
The next few hours were filled waiting. My friend and I had already planned on leaving Iowa City at 5:30 to go home and I was looking forward to seeing my family again. 


4:08 pm (25 hours, 37 minutes from scheduled flight) Text from Jeff "Guys-we leave tomorrow. God is amazing!!! Pack and be at the veritas/salt offices by 10:30" 


AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The next few hours were filled with packing and PTLing and just completely in awe of God. 


And that brings us to now. 8 hours, 25 minutes away from our first flight. My bags are packed, my room is clean and I am SO excited for this adventure!! 



Matthew 21:19-21 

Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
  When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.
 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done


No comments:

Post a Comment