Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thoughts on Mothers

It's no where near Mother's Day yet, but today I'm more than aware that moms just don't get enough credit for their existence. I'm a nanny. The earliest I've ever had to show up for a job was shortly before 6am. Which really isn't a big deal on account the work isn't anything too impossible..and there is always hope for returning home at some point. Plus I really enjoy spending time with kids. 

Last night as I struggled to stay awake in my financial peace class, I slightly contemplated the wisdom in my choice to have plans to hang out with a good friend later at 10pm. If I know I can sleep  the next day or something, I don't really think twice about accepting a late night hangout invite. 

I was driving back to Iowa City some time around 9:45pm and had just hung up my phone after solidifying where I was going to meet my friend and so on. But then my phone rang again and I, having my first on-call-at-any-hour nanny job for a lady with two kids and a third one due to arrive any minute, found out quickly that my late night plans would have to take a raincheck..I was needed to take over children watching at 11pm. 

So obviously the first part wasn't difficult, I arrived, got the low down of the kid's schedules and diet plans and then crawled into the air mattress bed they had set up for me somewhere around midnight. I slept between the text updates and phone calls throughout the early hours of the morning  and went on duty officially at 5am when the 1year old woke up in need of a bottle and fresh clothes. 

And it's been "mommy duty" with her and the 5year old ever since. I don't mind it, of course. I just don't know how REAL moms function on such little sleep and still keep the house functioning, children fed, and everything else mundane in order. 

As an everyday nanny, I've never had a moment where I decided I was sick of kids...but I have definitely had moments of feeling like I will be a terrible parent in my future. It's really humbling when you meet a situation you simply aren't qualified to handle. Nothing too traumatic has happened today so far...other than a few tantrums and melt downs. But there have been other times when I just don't know and my parenting skills are severely lacking and I just think..."dang...moms got a gift that I don't have and I just can't comprehend how they do life.." 

I'm sure a lot of this is my sleep deprivation talking. I finally got the 5yr old to take a nap..so it's a little quieter in here. Aye aye aye though. I'm thankful kids can't tell time because if they knew that their 20minute nap is currently at 40 minutes I think I'd have my own melt down...well probably not. But ya know....

Anyways.... I must return...but really, moms are incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment