Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tuesday is the New Monday

Reality is a cruel thing to wake up to. 

I shouldn't complain, I suppose, my life isn't that difficult. My work load isn't too much yet, either. But my time at home was as wonderful as I could have imagined and I have returned back with boxes of fresh apples and tomatoes and onions and pumpkins, all from our lovely garden. 

I like free stuff. But it's more the idea that the life pace of my family is relaxed and patient enough to have time to plant and tend to and wait to harvest such fruits of their labor. I think I like the idea of farming as it seems to be a more patient life-style than my own. 

In the meantime, returning home was a bit of adventure yesterday. Well, nothing too out of the ordinary for us. It was anticipated and accepted with a shrug of the shoulders and an, "oh well, we'll move on." 

On account my van has decided to bow out with a little less grace than I would have liked, when I returned home I fetched a new transportation vehicle. Yesterday afternoon, with my Iowa State brothers leading the way, my sister in her car and me in my car, shipped out in three vehicles in a fun little caravan figuring we'd stay as a pod for at least 2 hours. As we drove out I received, first, a phone call from my sister saying, "All wings report in. Red-2 standing by." And then a call from my brothers saying, "This is Red leader. Red-1, do you copy?" With my delighted response of "Red Leader, this is Red-1 standing by" and their affirmation of all crafts together, our merry little party was on our way. 

Some 12ish miles down the road we stopped for gas at this nothing pump in a little town that has the "Welcome to Nemaha" on both sides of the sign. Pearl's car was steaming something feirce out of her coolent so we popped the hood to let it cool off a little. It was then that we noticed the whole engine was either steaming a lot or smoking. With a quick consult with our father we determined to keep going. We told the brotherhood that if we bowed out, just keep going. And if Pearl's car stopped, we'd just transfer everything to mine and ride back together. 

2 miles later...  the brotherhood kept going and after a 5 minute transfer of Pearl's bounty to my hopefully-dependable-ride Pearl and I left the poor smoking, dead thing on the side of the road and didn't look much back. Looks like we might be car shopping this weekend. 

Whilst driving back we both were thinking reality wasn't something we wanted to welcome back into our lives and thus devised a plan that we would only stop long enough to get pearl's stuff into her apartment and then we would run away and find paths to explore and sights to see whilst procrastinating life a little longer. As we set off for that, we were invited to Kalona for a bonfire and I think my heart did a little happy dance. 

We still explored paths and neighborhoods in Iowa City firstly, and found places we didn't even know existed. 

As it was, Kalona was beautiful and it was perfect, as usual. Upon arriving home and showering off the smokey bear smell, I procrastinated life further still by refusing to go to sleep, knowing it would only bring morning sooner. Well, that was probably a poor choice. When the alarm went off at 7:30, I was far from ready to accept it and I was just epically thankful that my roommate had refilled the ice-coffee pitcher in our refrigerator.

Now that I've gotten at least one good cup, and have already pulled out folders and caught up on paper work and appointment making and people contacting for the morning, I suppose I shall complete my acceptance of this day by getting dressed and going to class. 

*sigh* 

At least it's a shorter week. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment