Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm Thankful for ________

I was 15 years old when I first went to China and realized all the many comforts with which I had been blessed and appreciated. Now, every year on facebook, people spend the days before thanksgiving counting their blessings 1-22 or 1-30. I've considered joining the ranks.. but I can't bring myself to it. I'm thankful, but I think I would be too hypocritical with it. Why spend 22 days thanking God on my status once a year and fill my status with complaints the other 343? Well.. I hope that no one could find a single complain on my status.. I strive not to openly complain about anything. But obvs I'm not perfect.

Anyways.. this morning at our Monday Morning prayer time with the Salt Company, my heart was just filled with joy because we were taking time to give thanks. And there were blessing being spoken of all around the room and it seemed a more happy place than usual. (Not that MMP is usually sad..it just seemed happier). I kept thinking of things for which I am thankful but of course there wasn't time to list them all. 

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, here is my list (In no particular order) which will probably be much shorter than it should be:

1) Salvation, because my life would look drastically different without it.
2) The Gospel. It changed my life and it changes my life every day.
3) Joy. It is steady and constant and life giving.
4) Music.
5) Heat in my house. (Also my roommate's space heater)
6) A family that loves Jesus.
7) The most amazing community of believing friends.
8) Prayer. (Prayers for me, prayers for others.. praying in general.) God is so good
9) Healing. My heart has been in and out of a meat grinder the last 6 weeks.. but I am whole.
10) Laughter.
11) My friend Jessica. She is a champion prayer warrior with a life marked by grace and truth
12) My friend Amanda. She speaks words of wisdom and healing and displays love in all she does.
13) My friend Miranda. She prays wisdom and speaks truth with a gentle spirit.
14)My friend Rachel. She has been a huge blessing in my life since we were 2 and 3. She is constant. 
15) My Bible study girls. They are understanding and transparent and have beautiful hearts for Jesus.
16) My room. It is big and restful and one of my favorite places to meet with God.
17) Having a car. 
18) My Bible. I have two small ones.. one old and one new. God's word has been a joyful companion.
19) The Salt Company. I was lost and without fellowship until it came and planted my sophomore year.
20) Veritas Church. A source of truth and beautiful example of how the body of believers should be.
21) Shoes. I have boots and tennies and slippers and whatnot.. I am blessed.
22) Warm clothes.
23) My heat blanket.
24) The quilts on my bed. Every single one that I have was made specifically for me. I am loved.
25) Josh Wiemann, one of the best friends I've ever had and more than I could have hoped for in a bf.
26) The Hamlets (Friend's of Josh's little brother that I get to call friends as well) They bless me.
27) Almonds. I've probably eaten over 50lbs of them in the last 6 months...
28) Doctors
29) My hands. 
30) Believing classmates. We talk about Jesus and encourage each other in class and it's really great. 
31) Clean water. 
32) My bed.  
33) My pillows.
34) Pictures. So many captured memories. So much reminder of joy.
35) Trials...because without the hard times, I would not know this side of grace.
36) The Bridge of Storm Lake. It brought my heart to life and grew me in so many ways last summer.
37) Pine Lake Camp.The hardest thing I've ever been through but was so pivotal in my walk with God.
38) Celery. It is sweet and tasteful and filling all at once.
39) My discipleship group. They have seen me cry and have prayed for me and encouraged me.
40) Carrie Durmody. She has poured into me and helped me to see God and new ways.
41) Drew and Melissa Stevenson. They are amazing Salt leaders and their lives bless others.
42) Jess Hanson. Her words of truth bring healing and her laughter brings joy.
43) The campus ministries. This place would be so much more dark without them here. 
44) Kathy Mark. My first friend here at Iowa. Dinner with her in Hillcrest meant the world to me. 
45) My Great Grandpa Chet. His love for the Lord and his faithful prayer over my life is so huge.
46) My grandpa and grandma Kohl. Their love for me has grown my love for the Lord in big ways.
47) My Aunt Kysa. She quit her job to care for my siblings and I & was there for us in the hardest time.
48) My Gross cousins. Some of the best friends I could ever have in my life. Blessings in a big way.
49) My Kohl cousins. Best friends and fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. They encourage me.
50) Youtube. I've made many a good bond with friends and family whilst watching a clip.
51) Internet. 
52) My computer.
53) Handwritten letters.
54) My grandma's letters. She is also my most faithful Valentine.
55) The Petersons. They have been my other family forever and have been love and care in my life.
56) My little sister Eva. She has the biggest, sweetest servant heart in the world.
57) My eyesight.
58) My hearing.
59) Sleep. It's amazing how much sleep can do.
60) Color.
61) Cheese
62) Kit's back rubs
63) My prayer journal. Looking back and seeing Gods work is incredible.
64) Internet.
65) Grace tutoring me in research methods
66) The handful of classmates that I chat with in class
67) My sign Language classmates/friends
68) Chocolate
69) Ken's unfailing ability to make me laugh
70) Pearl's adventurous spirit that inspires me to take more risks
71) the warmth of the sun
72) My cell phone
73) texting
74) My toothbrush
75) Kurt's level head and sacrificial selflessness
76) Rose laughing at my ridiculous stories
77) Big couches. My freshman year, the only couch I experienced was at home on breaks.
78) Christmas lights.
79) Kolby always wanting to serve.
80) Kyle who sees everyone as a hero and welcomes us home with a big smile.
81) Quiet moments with God
82) Music.
83) running.
84) Walks
85) Loving conversation
86) Electricity
87) Home
88) Light
89) trees
90) Reading
91) Christmas music
92) Green grass
93) Not living in a dorm room
94) Breaks from class
95) Classmates who have my back
96) Facebook
97) Showers
98) Stars
99) Fan noises when falling asleep
100) People who make me laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment