Sunday, November 22, 2015

Why I Go Home for Thanksgiving


I know I recently promised a tell-all of the abandoned buildings I've thoroughly explored in the last 12 months.. that blog is still coming. I just decided that maybe this post needed this broken window from an old early 1900s school I explored... twice. That's a whole big story in and of itself, though. When I get around to typing it up for you, I'll be sure to include the disappearing idol and having to army crawl through tall grass at top speed while praying for invisibility. 

Isn't it interesting how much light can come through a broken window? If it was a whole window but a dirty window.. not near as much light would be able to come through it. One thing I've learned during my abandoned excursions are 1) Broken windows are always your friend. 2) Day time is always the best time. When you don't have any electricity, sunlight is the next best thing. Also.. exploring at night is really obvious to any passer-by. One little light dancing in the window of something that's sat "untouched" for 50 years is a little suspicious. 

All that is to say... sometimes God breaks out the windows of my heart. He replaces them later, of course, but sometimes the necessary things are painful and messy. 

My heart has been doing a little better since my last post. 

I think after time at home with my family, things will be much improved. I've felt a little suffocated lately and I think a little break and breathing will be just what the doctor ordered. 

If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you'd know that Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite holidays to be home. My family is just wonderful and so any time we can get the whole bunch of us under one roof for a while, is a wonderful time. 

I'm beyond words excited to head home. I'm kinda imagining myself to be like one of those cartoon characters who crashes to a stop and is all bent out of shape and dead looking. Just on my insides, though. I'm very thankful for the life I have and the place I'm in and the people I have. I'm VERY blessed. I love my church, I love my church people. 

I'm just really excited to be around the people who love me best. Where I can ask for a glass of water and receive it without anyone telling me I'm needy. Where kitchen cleaning inevitably turns into a dance party and it isn't uncommon to be awoken by someone bringing you a hot cup of coffee just the way you like it. Where we are so loathe to leave each other's company in the evening, we fall asleep on the couch and slowly drag ourselves to our rooms at 2 in the morning. Where you fall asleep to the smell of the woodstove and wake up to the sound of someone stoking the fire and adding another log. 
Home is where whipped cream comes in liquid form at first and only becomes whipped cream by the act of being whipped. 

Home is where your contact solution goes missing because someone else forgot to bring theirs and you accidently left yours out in the open. Home is where mom assigns everyone 3 hand-wash dishes after dinner which adds up to 30 dishes that wouldn't fit in the dishwasher and you just kind of hope that there's actually only 17 dishes and there isn't enough for you.. but then you end up doing five and it doesn't even look like you did any. 

Home is where you can play Age of Empires with 7 friends and still have too many friends for the maximum game capacity. Where reading Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot and Garfield are a perfectly acceptable way of spending your afternoon. Also, sleeping is very respected. Even if 14 people are in the house and someone fell asleep on the couch.. the lights get turned off and the person gets covered with a blanket and then used as a pillow. 

Home is where you can count on unlimited hugs and getting your shoulders rubbed and your split-ends trimmed. Home is where laughter is in abundance and hiccups are inevitable. 

I like home.  I will be home soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment